Surrogacy is a method of assisted reproduction. The term surrogacy is used when a woman carries a pregnancy and gives birth to a baby for another woman. Surrogacy is gaining popularity as this may be the only method for some couples to have their own child and also because adoption may be a long drawn out process.
Gestational Surrogacy is a more common form of surrogacy. In this procedure, a woman carries a pregnancy created by the egg and sperm of the genetic couple. The egg of the wife is fertilized in vitro by the husband's sperms by IVF/ICSI procedure and the embryo is transferred into the surrogate's uterus. The surrogate carries the pregnancy for nine months and post delivery the child is legally handed over to the biological parents. The surrogate has no legal right on the child thus born.
There is another surrogacy called Natural Surrogacy where the surrogate is inseminated or IVF/ICSI procedure is performed with sperms from the male partner with the eggs of the surrogate.. The child that results is genetically related to the surrogate and to the male partner but not to the female partner.
Who might opt for Surrogacy
A. IVF Surrogacy
1. Primarily, IVF surrogacy is indicated in women whose ovaries are producing eggs but they do not have a uterus.
2. A woman whose uterus is malformed (unicornuate uterus, T shaped uterus, bicornuate uterus with rudimentary horn) or damaged uterus (T.B of the endometrium, severe Asherman's Syndrome) or at high risk of rupture, (previous uterine surgeries for rupture uterus or fibroid uterus) and is unable to carry pregnancy to term can also be recommended IVF surrogacy.
3. Women who have repeated miscarriages or have repeated failed IVF cycles may be advised IVF surrogacy in view of unexplained factors which could be responsible for failed implantation and early pregnancy wastage.
4. Women who suffer from medical problems like diabetes, cardio-vascular disorders, or kidney diseases like chronic nephritis, whose long term prospect for health is good but pregnancy would be life threatening.
5. Woman with Rh incompatibility.
B. Traditional Surrogacy
1. Women who have no functioning ovaries due to premature ovarian failure.Here Egg Donation also can be an option.
2. A woman who is at a risk of passing a genetic disease to her offspring may also opt for traditional surrogacy.
Surrogacy in India has a very meticulous and stringent criterion for choosing a surrogate. One of the best centre for Surrogacy in India is IVF India.Surrogacy in India is attracting a large chunk of couples who are unable to complete their family because of infertility of different types.Cost of surrogacy in India is also very low as compared to the other countries. The cost burden in case of surrogacy in India is not at one go. In case of surrogacy in India the payment is made in 3 installments at various levels of treatment. Dr. Ila Gupta is one of the most reputed Surrogacy specialist and has a very high success rates in surrogacy treatments in India.
Tap the button to initiate call to us