Kidney stone is a solid piece of material that forms in the kidney from substances in the urine. It may be as small as a grain of sand or as large as a pearl. Most kidney stones pass out of the body without help from a doctor. But sometimes a stone will not go away. It may get stuck in the urinary tract, block the flow of urine and cause great pain.
The following may be signs of kidney stones that need a doctor's help:
- Extreme pain in your back or side that will not go away
- Blood in your urine
- Fever and chills
- Urine that smells bad or looks cloudy
- A burning feeling when you urinate
There are different types of kidney stones. The exact cause depends on the type of stone.
- Calcium stones are most common. They occur more often in men than in women, and usually appear between ages 20 - 30. They are likely to come back.
- Cystine stones can form in people who have cystinuria. This disorder runs in families and affects both men and women.
- Struvite stones are mostly found in women who have a urinary tract infection. These stones can grow very large and can block the kidney, ureter, or bladder.
- Uric acid stones are more common in men than in women. They can occur with gout or chemotherapy.
Kidney stones can be removed through a small surgery called PCNL which is a laparoscopic surgery for removal of kidney stone. PCNL surgery in India is preferred over the traditional open surgery. PCNL surgery for kidney stone removal requires small stay in the hospital and leads to faster recovery. There are many hospitals in Gurgaon, India that are doing PCNL surgery for kidney stone removal on a regular basis.