Vertigo Treatment in India
Vertigo in simple language we can say is a feeling of spinning dizziness or imbalance. Vertigo is generally caused by inner ear problem. Some of the most common causes for vertigo are electrolyte imbalance, low blood pressure, BPPV (Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo), Meniere’s Disease and Vestibular neuritis. It can also happen because of cervical spine problems or brain pathology. This can happen due to many reasons and one of the most common of them is dehydration. There are other medical conditions that can lead to electrolyte imbalance which include chronic kidney disease, liver disease, diabetes etc. Electrolyte imbalance is one of the most common causes of vertigo and missed many a times.
Reasons for Vertigo
Vertigo is often triggered by a change in the position of your head. The common symptoms include: Spinning Tilting Swaying or Pulled to one direction Unbalanced Nauseating Sweating Ringing in Ears
- Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo (BPPV) – Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo occurs when tiny calcium particles (canaliths) clump up in canals of the inner ear. The inner ear sends signals to the brain about head and body movements relative to gravity. It helps you keep your balance. BPPV can occur for no known reason and may be associated with age.
- Miniere’s Disease: Miniere’s disease is an inner ear disease which is caused by the accumulation of fluid in the ear and changing ear pressure. This can not only lead to vertigo but also tinnitus (ringing sound in ear) and hearing loss if not treated properly.
- Vestibular Neuritis: This is an inner ear problem usually related to infection (usually viral). The infection causes inflammation in the inner ear around nerves that are important for helping the body sense balance
- Inner Ear Infection: Another very important reason for vertigo is infection in the inner ear or the ear bone.This leads to vertigo along with pus discharge from the ear, ear pain and ear drum perforation.
- Other Medical Conditions: One of the very common condition is cervical spine problem like cervical spondylitis which can cause severe vertigo and nausea. Apart from spine brain pathology like tumours, stroke or migraine can also cause similar kind of episodes. In case of cervical spondylitis the best doctor for the treatment of vertigo would be a neuro specialist or a physiotherapist in India. The most common reason for cervical spondylitis is wrong posture while working or even sleeping. So many a times changing posture or pillow that you use may help you in relieving symptoms of cervical spondylitis.
Vertigo Treatment in India
Treatment for vertigo depends upon the reason which is causing vertigo. In many cases symptoms of vertigo go away on their own but in other conditions person may need treatment for the same. The best treatment for BPPV is combination of medical management by ENT specialist along with physiotherapist which is aimed at strengthening the vestibular system of the person. There may be cases of vestibular neuritis which may need canalith repositioning maneuvers by an ENT specialist or a physiotherapist. These maneuvers are considered one of the best treatment for vestibular neuritis as the main purpose of these maneuvers is to move the calcium deposits out of the canal into an inner ear chamber so they can be absorbed by the body. In cases where inner ear infection is the cause of vertigo then it needs surgery called mastoidectomy. Mastoidectomy is generally accompanied by tympanoplasty for replacing the perforated ear drum.
As mentioned earlier vertigo can also be caused due to brain pathology like tumours etc. In these cases a proper diagnosis through a CT Scan or MRI is essential to plan the best line of treatment. In case there is a tumour that is causing vertigo then surgery for excision of tumour is the best option.
Best Doctor for Vertigo in India
When it comes to Vertigo there may be multiple specialist involved in the treatment as mentioned above. Dr Priyanjana Sharma is the best ENT specialist for the vertigo. Similarly Dr Sandeep Vaishya is the best neurosurgeon in case Vertigo is due to some brain pathology like tumour. Dr Yash Fauzdar is the best physiotherapist for vertigo who works in close coordination with the ENT specialist and a neurosurgeon.